Congratulations to Adam Felts on winning Employee of the Quarter for the 3rd Quarter of 2014!! Not only was Adam a key asset in accomplishing Africa, but has been a dedicated team member for over 14 years! Before Adam became Assistant Curator he started his career at the Zoo as a seasonal in Asia Quest and has since advanced his way to being the Assistant Curator at the Zoo’s newest and most expansive exhibit, Heart of Africa.
Adam’s co-workers couldn’t have said more positive things about the type of team player he is:
“Adam has taken on the enormous task of bringing Heart of Africa on board. He has been an amazing leader getting things up and running while managing and encouraging his staff. He is an amazing role model for us all and is always conscious of the needs of the keepers and animals. I am so glad Adam has been my supervisor through this challenging and exciting time.”
“Adam is a wonderful supervisor and has done a great job getting Heart of Africa up and running. He has worked countless hours, day in and day out to make sure everything runs smoothly. Adam has been a tremendous leader and a great example for all of his staff. He is always looking out for his staff while managing all of the animals at the same time. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with him over the last several months as we all completed the enormous task of bringing Africa together.”
“Adam is extremely hard working, great with animal training and has amazing instincts when it comes to the animals. He’s super organized, is always on top of what’s going on and what needs to be done. He goes to great lengths to make sure his staff is happy, not just with their job, but with his job as well. He’s always one step ahead of what needs to be done and makes sure it gets done, on time, if not before! He’s also very entertaining and makes work fun with his crazy shenanigans. He makes an effort to ensure his staff has fun as well.”
“I am proud to nominate Adam Felts for Employee of the Quarter. Adam is amazing! Ever since he was hired to oversee Heart of Africa, he has worked incredibly hard to make everything go smoothly. At one point he was here so often that he had a cot in his office. Adam has exemplified the “can-do” attitude. He has found ways to work around any type of challenge. And he continues to shine when it comes to teamwork, both within his group and with the many departments with whom he interacts-Planning, Animal Programs, Education, Revenue, etc. He makes all of us look good. Thank you, Adam!”
As a reward for being chosen as our Employee of the Quarter, Adam will receive a $50 gift card to a local restaurant, a VIP parking spot and will be featured on the Zoo’s website and Facebook page.
Adam, we are very proud of all of your accomplishments and thank you for all you do. It is clear that you have made a huge impact on many team members across the Zoo. We are proud to be able to work with you and have you be a leader in our Zoo community.
Q and A with Adam:
1. Family/Pets/Anyone to make famous? Julia, Noah, Norman (the cat). Heart of Africa Staff: Madison Denison, Sheri Smith, Heather Hunt, Heather Sinn, Samantha Schlacks, Sam Frohlich.
2. If you were an animal at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, what would you be and why? A koala so I could sleep over 20 hours a day and it would be okay.
3. What’s your favorite thing to do in the summer? Camping.
4. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you choose to go and why? The pyramids. I find it very interesting that people that long ago could build and create such a marvel without the technology we have today.
5. What are your favorite hobbies? Music, playing guitar, video games with my son.
6. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten? I may or may not have eaten a soft pretzel I dropped on the ground and then stepped on after leaving the bison the yard.
7. Tell me about a unique or quirky habit of yours. I am obsessed with efficiency, for example, I think buttons are silly and never unbutton my button up shirts when I put them on or take them off. Wastes too much time.
8. If you could have an endless supply of any food, what would you get? Steak Egg and Cheese Bagel from McDonalds. So bad for you, yet sooooooo good.
9. If you had to describe yourself using three words, they would be… I would use the words such as analytical, efficient, passionate, others would say paranoid, high maintenance, annoying.
10. If you won a lottery ticket and had a million dollars, what would you do with it? Probably what I am doing now, except without a house payment.
11. You’ve been given access to a time machine. Where and when would you travel to? To watch them build the pyramids.
12. What is your best memory working at the Zoo so far? Getting to be part of Heart of Africa has been the most amazing experience I have had. Getting to work alongside so many great people from all areas of the Zoo has been an incredible pleasure, and I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity. It was a true team effort that created the best exhibit in the country, and there are so many people that deserve credit including, but not limited to our Planning Department, Facilities Department, Keepers, IT, Construction, Operations, Marketing, our Docents and Volunteers, and Jack.
13. What is one item that you really should throw away, but probably never will? I don’t have this problem. I enjoy getting rid of unused, unwanted, out dated, and un-useful, items. I consider it a positive aspect, others wish I wasn’t so excited to “clean house”.
14. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? I was going to be a pharmacist and work at my dad’s store; I then started working at the Zoo and got sucked in.