Responsible for the development and coordination of grants for The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and the Wilds and content development for various forms of communication and electronic media related to the Philanthropy Department.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• BA/BS in education, business, journalism or related field required.
• Excellent writing skills required.
• Minimum of one to three years’ experience in grant writing for a non-profit organization preferred.
• Experience securing grant funding from foundations, corporations, and government entities (including grants of $100,000+) preferred.
• Ability to develop and deliver informational presentations to small, medium or large groups required.
• Experience in leadership and working with a diverse group of people required.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office programs required.
• Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays and overnight travel required.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
• Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
• Identifies individual, corporate, community and government grantors and recommends potential funding opportunities based on the Zoo’s and the Wilds’ priorities and their alignment with funders’ interests.
• Consults with senior management and secures approval of funding priorities and obtains designation of key staff to be involved in program planning, proposal development and program implementation.
• Develops and submits comprehensive grant proposals in accordance with funders’ requirements.
• Develops a calendar and process for timely submission of interim and final grant reports in accordance with funders’ requirements.
• Arranges for on-site tours; makes appointments with appropriate personnel with potential funders and leads tours as necessary.
• Assists in serving as a clearinghouse for all philanthropic grant requests.
• Serves as writer and editor, as needed, for a wide variety of print, electronic and social media projects for Philanthropy.
• Serves as contributing editor of the planned giving portion of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium website.
• Attends functions as assigned and acts as an informed ambassador, ensuring We Promise guest service standards are always upheld.
• Assures the safety of self, animals, co-workers and visitors by observing safety guidelines.
• Functions as a strong team member with other members of the Philanthropy Department to assist with other activities as directed.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Please apply online or by mailing your application to: Columbus Zoo and Aquarium - Human Resources Department, PO Box 400, Powell OH 43065. Deadline for application is Monday, August 26, 2013. Click the link below to apply!