Responsible for protecting the staff, guests, animal collection and physical assets of the Columbus Zoo, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and the Wilds from preventable harm and danger.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Emergency Management, Security & Risk Analysis or Business preferred.
• Five years of progressively responsible management experience in law enforcement, safety, security and emergency preparedness planning for a company of comparable size and complexity required, with experience in an attraction/campus setting highly preferred.
• A minimum of five years of supervisory experience required.
• Experience in developing, communicating and executing public safety, security and emergency preparedness programs required.
• Familiarity with the National Incident Management System preferred. Experience with utilizing the Incident Command System in a campus setting preferred.
• Experience handling a variety of internal safety and security problems including, but not limited to, criminal or disorderly conduct, investigations, dissatisfied guests, lost persons and property, personal injury and accidents, fire and other emergencies required.
• Proven strong managerial, administrative and business skills required.
• Ability to lead others through processes rather than mandate, education vs. enforcement, required. Ability to be tough-minded if required to ensure goals are met.
• Experience in handling crisis situations requiring sound judgment, quick, firm decision-making and expediting action required.
• Ability to make physical inspections of buildings and grounds across 580 acre complex and adjacent and remote parking lots required.
• Experience resolving situations involving both the perpetrators and victims of crimes required.
• Certified in first aid, AED and CPR required.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays and periodic inspections of round-the-clock security shifts required.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required. Basic computer skills preferred.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required, current CPR card ERT or First Aid certificate and AED certification required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
• Oversees the development, review and execution of institution-wide security policies and procedures that comply with regulatory standards and achieve the Zoo’s strategic and operating priorities.
• Develops and oversees the implementation of policies and procedures for responding to first-aid and medical emergencies.
• Works with Human Resources and Department Managers to investigate security incidents involving guests and employees to determine cause, maintains appropriate records of all incidents and recommends and/or takes corrective action as appropriate.
• Develops and conducts security training for supervisors and staff and conducts regular safety and security audits, inspections and emergency procedure drills.
• Coordinates with other departments to ensure safety and security protocols are being followed and that buildings, systems and equipment are in safe working condition.
• Analyzes and prepares overall department budget and keeps within budget through activities such as constant monitoring of labor costs.
• Serves as primary contact for safety and security emergencies 24 hours/day, 7 days/week and liaison with local law enforcement.
• Conducts and oversees loss prevention and overall risk management/assessment for the Zoo and Zoombezi Bay including but not limited to: ? maintaining crisis management program, coordinating project specifications, bids, orders and payment of safety products and vendors, performing fire and safety inspections on a regular basis and communication of appropriate safety information to Zoo and Zoombezi Bay staff.
• Responsible for perimeter, traffic and crowd control and behind-the-scenes access.
• Provides and ensures excellent internal and external guest service and conflict resolution at all times.
• Plans special events coverage, movement of people and vehicles and safe ingress/egress which may include initiating required permits.
• Develops, oversees and evaluates the workplace safety program for Zoo and Zoombezi Bay and ensures safety programs are in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations
• Serves as the safety expert in regards to all staff development and training programs.
• Acts as the liaison between the Zoo and the Bureau of Worker’s Compensation Division of Safety and Hygiene, OSHA and other workplace safety agencies to ensure compliance with all safety requirements.
• Reviews all Security activity logs and sends reports and recommendations to COO.
• Responsible for implementing protocols for and occasionally dealing directly with unruly or hostile guests or groups including public protestors, drunk and disorderlies, pedophiles, trespassers, criminals, etc. and provides escort duties for exiting property.
• Maintains files on past employees and guests no longer allowed on Zoo property.
• Plans, assigns and reviews work of, acts on disciplinary problems, completes performance reviews, recommends salary increases, recommends discharge, interviews candidates for hire, for Security Section employees.
• Serves on Zoo Safety committee, which is responsible for providing safety for Zoo, Zoombezi Bay and Wilds employees and guests.
• Supervises the collection of money from Zoo and Zoombezi Bay profit centers, money runs to the financial office and approves purchase orders for the Security Section.
• Patrols Zoo and Zoombezi Bay properties and investigates any unusual activity.
• Oversees and maintains acceptable proficiency in the use of Zoo weapons by those assigned to weapons response team.
• Acts as Director On Duty as assigned by the COO.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Deadline to submit application is Wednesday, January 30, 2013. Click the link below to apply: