Designs and coordinates the architectural components of the zoo aesthetic to enhance the quality of the guest experience.
• B.S. in field of architectural design, landscape architecture, interior design, information architecture, industrial design or related field, with two – four years experience in design field or (6 to 8 years of related experience may be substituted for degree).
• Zoo or campus design experience preferred.
• Ability to design and coordinate an overall zoo aesthetic utilizing the architectural components of the campus, from way-finding directionals and building structures to interior colors and finishes required.
• Proven ability to design and coordinate with color.
• Ability to build consensus and facilitate team decision-making. Proficiency in graphic communication skills required.
• Model-making ability preferred.
• Appreciation of wildlife conservation issues.
• LEED credentials or proven awareness of sustainable design principles preferred.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
• Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
• Design, selection, installation and coordination of zoo campus site furnishings and small structures such as retail carts, way-finding graphics, food carts and themed structures.
• Coordination of color, finish and material design and selection with existing buildings, with themed exhibitry elements, with all guest interior spaces and with selected staff and administrative interior spaces.
• Assists in the development of an aesthetic standard that enhances the quality of our institutional “brand”.
• Assists Director of Project Design and Sr. VP of department with any and all of above design aspects of new physical projects.
• Communicates via illustrative conceptual renderings and/or models for the purpose of informing and selling concepts to donors, sponsors and internal constituents (Board, management, staff).
• Collaborates with staff from multiple departments to develop a functional and cost effective program of requirements for selected projects.
• Responsible for producing detail drawings, specifications and/or other construction documents suitable for bidding to vendors and contractors.
• Assists Director of Project Design with the management of the electronic Construction Drawing archival system as necessary.
• Supports Director of Theming and Interpretive Design and Exhibits staff with themed exhibitry components as required.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Deadline to submit application is February 15, 2013. Click the link below to apply!