Responsible for creating consistent, effective on-grounds guest messaging content using proven understanding of planning principles, wildlife conservation issues, interpretive exhibitry and audience evaluative processes along with excellent rendering and writing skills.
• B.S. in graphic design, information architecture, park planning and design or related field required.
• Minimum of three to five years exhibit design and/or interpretive design planning experience preferred.
• Awareness of principles of audience evaluation, park planning and management, communication, zoology, interpretive and interactive exhibitry.
• Highly proficient in graphic and written communication skills.
• Capable of facilitating teams and building consensus.
• Ability to design, coordinate and otherwise project manage audience evaluations.
• Knowledgeable regarding current wildlife conservation and environmental sustainability issues and effective means for physical interpretation of them.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
• Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
• Provide consistent product in terms of message, quality and impact throughout multi park system.
• Coordinate a planning process per project to define individual project goals that incorporate zoo-wide objectives for guest messaging.
• Develop these objectives into well-written central and sub-themes, guest narratives and action outputs per region, exhibit or conservation topic for physical development.
• Produce story-boards, concept sketches, character reference guides and schematic level renderings suitable to use for bidding purposes, for audience evaluation purposes and for other internal/external communication.
• Support Director of Program Planning and/or Sr VP of department in planning processes for CZA strategic initiatives.
• Work with Animal management, Conservation, Education, Sustainability, Guest Relations, Community Engagement and other staff to assure consistency of messages across zoo and multi-park grounds.
• Responsible for designing, developing, managing and coordinating audience pre and post evaluation projects, as deemed necessary.
• Responsible for keeping all existing signage, electronic and interactive exhibitry content current and working with Exhibits staff to coordinate these updates.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Deadline to submit application is February 15, 2013. Click the link below to apply!