Responsible for the planning and daily classroom implementation of the Zoo Kids curriculum in conjunction with other Zoo Kids staff and under the direction of the Program Supervisor.
• BA/BS degree in Early Childhood Education/Development, Elementary Education or related subject required.
• Minimum one year in relating to and teaching preschool-aged children preferred.
• Ability to maintain a positive attitude in sometimes stressful situations required.
• Ability to work in a team approach with department staff required.
• Knowledge of wildlife and conservation issues preferred.
• If assigned duties include administering medications; annual First Aid training required and annual CPR training required
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
• Develops curriculum for the ZooKids program.
• Prepares for each class session, including but not limited to: researching topics and preparing lesson plans, obtaining daily supplies and snacks, decorating room, selecting literature and songs and preparing first-day letters/parent topic letters.
• Coordinates daily activities of ZooKids classroom. This involves check-ins, check-outs, instruction of lessons and activities for children 3-5, including interaction during arrival and free time, group time instruction, art time, zoo walk, story time, snack time and hands-on animal time.
• Maintains attendance and dismissal records of children, collecting emergency release forms and lists and recording allergies.
• Assures safety of 40-80 children throughout the day including accommodation for allergies and special needs.
• Cleans ZooKids room and animal cages/tanks, feeds animals and cares for plants in ZooKids room.
• Functions as a team leader to assist Programs Supervisor and facilitate activities such as scheduling, recruitment/retention and providing work direction for ZooKids seasonal staff.
• Assists Programs Supervisor in the development and implementation of training programs for new and existing staff.
• Assists Programs Supervisor in the ongoing evaluation of the ZooKids program through discussion with staff and parents.
• Maintains confidentiality of information related to children.
• Handles cash on registration days.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Deadline for application is Monday, June 17, 2013. No phone calls or e-mails, please. Click the link below to apply!