The interpretive guide is the Wilds’ ambassador to the public. Interpretive guides communicate the Wilds’ conservation message to visitors as well as convey the concerns/comments of visitors to management.
• High school diploma or equivalent required; some college, especially in a related field (biology, education, interpretation, wildlife management, ecology, etc.) a plus.
• Experience with presentations, public speaking, programming, or other educational experience preferred.
• Positive, professional attitude.
• Ability to make responsible decisions.
• Ability to adapt easily to changing circumstances in a busy work place.
• Public service experience.
• Required to walk long distances with inclines assisting guests at destinations.
• Ability to operate a two-way radio.
• CPR/first aid training preferred.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Wilds/Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
• Ability to successfully complete a pre-employment employment drug screening required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
• Develops a thorough understanding of provided information and presents engaging interpretation of Wilds conservation work while transporting our visitors through visitor and animal areas.
• Safely operates a 24 – 28 passenger bus.
• Utilizes artifacts and other tools, as appropriate, for conveying messages to visitors.
• Acts as a representative of the Wilds including appropriate dress, language and attitude in all activities.
• Greets and informs guests of pertinent information including tour options and logistics.
• Acts as a liaison for groups once they arrive at the Wilds (including food service and gift shop duties).
• Performs daily vehicle inspection and keeps vehicles clean (windows, floors, seats, etc.). Heavy lifting required.
• Responsible for gate operation.
• Assists in daily housekeeping/light grounds keeping tasks. Heavy lifting required.
• Assists in gift shop, restaurant or shuttle when necessary.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Wilds, the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari and Golf Club.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Click here to apply!