Animal Care Internships for College Students
Thank you for your interest in our internship program! The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium offers Animal Care Internships in six different regions: Africa, Asia Quest, Australia and the Islands, Congo Expedition, North America, and Shores.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive each year, it is most beneficial for candidates to apply for their top 2 internships, rather than all of them.
*There is no veterinary hospital internship offered at this time.
The Human Resources Department administers the Zoo's Internship program but interns will report directly to individual supervisors in the various departments. We do not provide housing for our interns. It is the responsibility of the intern to arrange and pay for housing and all other associated costs of living for the duration of the internship. All positions will remain open until filled.
Congo Expedition Internship
Student Assistant Positions for College Students
Our student assistant positions are for students currently enrolled or have graduated within six months of college. Unlike our Animal Care and the Wilds Internships, the student assistant positions are paid and are in a variety of departments. All positions require the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays and are subject to a BMV check, Criminal Background check and Drug Free Workplace Policy.
Guest Engagement Student Assistant
- This position will assist with recruitment, training, and staff development. Additionally, the position will assist with communication, engagement tracking, and will report back regarding team infiltration.
- Guest Service experience preferred. Majoring in Business, Communication, Hospitality or related field.
Public Relations Student Assistant
- Responsibilities include social media monitoring and analysis, media list management and hands-on experience with media on Zoo grounds in addition to all other duties as assigned.
- Social Media experience required. Majoring in Communnication, Business or related field
Retail Student Assistant
- Position will assist in receiving, unpacking, processing, organizing and storing merchandise in the Retail Departments Shops and Warehouse. Job functions will include but are not limited to transporting and checking in merchandise shipments between the warehouse and the retail shops, verifying quantities and communicating any discrepancies to the supervisor. Job duties also include organizing the stockrooms, label merchandise, perform physical inventory counts, track inventory levels and communicate reports to buyer.
-Majoring in Business, Logistics, Retail or related field
Security Student Assistant
- Position will be required to maintain a daily log and investigate and complete incident and crash reports. Patrol the parking lots and assist with traffic control as needed. Check on animal support systems and temperatures. Update SOP’s and industry analysis. Assist with medical emergencies and participate in emergency response reviews. Provide research for the Director of Safety and Security as needed. This position also will perform miscellaneous ranger duties and loss prevention audits.
- Majoring in Law Enforcement Administration, Criminal Justice or related field
Research and Evaluation Student Assistant
- Assisting in the design, implementation, and analysis of on-grounds evaluations and research projects related to interpretive signage, exhibitry and guest experiences
- Researching given topics to create up-to-date literature reviews
- Undergraduate or graduate student in Natural Resources, Environmental Studies, Social Science Research, or Education
- Majoring in Natural Resources/Interpretation, Environmental Education, Social Science, Psychology
Finance Student Assistant
- Provides assistance within the Finance Department primarly focusing on Accounts Payable.
- Accounts Payable duties include matching invoices, expense account coding, entry into accounting software, check mailing, check filing, and additional Finance Department duties as time permits.
- Majoring in Accounting or related field.
The Wilds Internships
Please note that the Wilds is located in Cumberland, Ohio. These positions are unpaid and housing is provided for the duration of your internship.